Friday, December 10, 2010

He Is Good, So Good

Today is easily the best day spiritually that I've had in years.

Being the music lover I am, it usually helps when I find a few songs to keep on repeat and make the mood jovial all day. Today happened to be the How Great Thou Art album of gospel favorites from country music artists. I think they were all recorded at The Ryman. To say this album is a jewel wouldn't do it justice.
On repeat most of today has been 'Give Me Jesus' by Vince Gill and 'How Great Thou Art' by Carrie Underwood. I make no cover ups for my love for Carrie, even if she is a vegetarian and PETA supporter. Her voice happens to be absolutely perfect to my ears and heart with just about everything she sings (scorned x-boyfriend and pop infused songs excluded). Pretty much I melt when I hear her sing. Ok, I said it! I remember watching the video version of this performance on CMT whenever it came out and I was blown away. She hits every note and brought the house down.
The song she has on the charts now called 'Mama's Song' really touches my heart. It says what every girl should be able to tell her mother. That she shouldn't worry about the man her daughter is marrying. "He Is Good, So Good" is one of the stanzas within the song. Recently it hit me how this part of the song reflects my feelings towards God and how He is good, so good. Obviously this song has no real world application to me because of, well, me not being a girl and the rest of it. But this didn't stop the song from impacting me. I hope one day that my wife can say that to her mother. More importantly though, is we all have someone that makes promises He keeps and won't ever leave us. (more lyrics for those that don't know the song) So, moral of the story and randomization above, He can even speak to us through a song we thought didn't have anything to do with spirituality. 


Vince Gill's version of 'Give Me Jesus' is another touching song. When I awake, give me Jesus. You can have the world, but just Give Me Jesus. He is all we need for fulfillment.  I really really like this song and him singing it. 

So that brings me back to the gospel/hymns I've been sifting through lately. There are certain ones that bring back memories of being young in church and singing them with family. Yah, you know that part of history when we actually sang hymns from the hymnal in church and there wasn't a projector screen on the wall to watch. Strange how times have changed....

But anyways, tonight I finally started listening to Christmas hymns. Celine Dion's 'Oh Holy Night' is always the right song to get me in the Christmas spirit.
Speaking of Christmas music, Rick and Bubba played Alabama's "Christmas In Dixie" this morning and that really brought back memories of listening to that when we'd travel to visit family during Christmas.

Tonight I also started a bit of a DIY project for "gifts" for the annual games that arise during this time of year. I can't tell you what they are but whomever is the recipient during a "Dirty Santa" will be happily surprised and actually like what is received. I really enjoy making things, as most know, and this has been a fun project thus far.

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.