Monday, December 06, 2010

Even The Skies Are Blue

Well the cold weather has arrived in South Alabama. Today once I get home from work I must cover my satsuma tree to keep it warm, even though it's on the south side of my house. I'd already wrapped the trunk/graft with bubble wrap and newspaper, but the rain and wind kind of did some damage on that stuff already!
I can't say that I care for cold weather too much. Luckily my home is super insulated and it keeps the heat in very well, but I haven't been running the heat at all, or really needed to yet. If we get a few days where highs aren't much over 40* then I bet I'll have to keep the radiator heater going when I'm in the house. I think my experience in the Sycamore House in Starkville during the winter of not using heat effected me this way. Sure it was nostalgic and such to do so back in college, but for the most part I stay comfortable in my home within reason now days.
Lately I've really been into reading blogs and such which speak on the subject of frugality or minimalism. Not that I'm trying to become some tree hugger, but I simply just want to live within my means for as long as I can. Wastefulness just isn't an option when you don't have much, so I'm preparing for that now in case at some point I don't have much! Having your own house as a single guy sure is a luxury but there's no one to share costs with so I try to eliminate wasting money as much as possible now days.
So, because it is getting close to the season of giving (aka Chirst's birth) the flurry of shopping tends to rise amongst the masses. Most know that I'm not really into giving for holidays and birthdays. I get this from my uncle Bobby who gave throughout the year and because he had too many nieces and nephews to give to and keep up with, he simply made it a rule to treat everyone equally and just not give gifts to the children. Growing up I found it fair and just, and didn't worry too much about it. What mattered most was getting to spend time chatting with him and Aunt Mary in their small house. Why do people keep thinking STUFF is going to last? Well, it's because we are bombarded by ads telling us we have to by this and that to stay up with the Who's Who.
I miss those who have gone on to heaven. The friends that have impacted my life for the better. Each day I wake up and look at a flag from Uncle Bobby on my bedroom wall and I'm reminded that it's the moments and memories we make with each other that truly matter, that truly last. Out of 25yrs of getting gifts for Christmas I may can name 3 or 4. This Christmas I'm especially mindful of sticking close to the meaning of Christmas and worshipping His birth and a Father that will never forsake me. I really wish more people would take inventory of their lives such as in 2Corinthians 13:5.  Quit putting it off. We have churches filled with citizens merely sitting there from habit.

Even though his body was failing him daily, John Jones didn't ask 'Why Me, Lord' from the standpoint of pity. He asked Him to reveal the reason Why, Lord so that he could continue fulfilling his calling here on earth before being called to Heaven. God showed me that He can even use a man, John, who has grown frail to impact His kingdom. I'm forever grateful for the selflessness of John and the profound way his passing has changed my life this year. I'm reminded daily that though I struggle with chronic pain and my body may fail me that God has a plan for me to impact His kingdom. I pray often that He will show me this plan and that I can continue to show compassion for those hurting and in need of relief. I don't wish chronic pain on anyone, it's a depressive state if you're priorities are not in line, and I'm so lucky to have mine as they should. Chronic pain does funny things with our minds and hearts. It weakens our desire to do even the simplest of daily tasks. If I go without my medicine for just a couple hours my will power just isn't strong enough to cope with the pain anymore. I try not to worry but simply Give it Up to Him during those times. This is how it should be. God reminds me that I cannot be satisfied by my body's desire to be healthy and well, but that I can count on Him alone to fulfill my needs and desires. What stronger commitment is there in this world? That no matter how I try to help myself I will never get there alone, I must put ALL my trust in HIM, Chirst Jesus, who Strengthens Me.

Through this blog/posting I don't wish for comments on my pain or sympathy. I only want to express the deep desire to be used by God for furthering His kingdom through this trial in my life. I pray that if anyone has someone in their life that can't cope with their struggles that they should turn to God for the answer and not just a doctor or a bottle of medicine. He is the only anecdote for what hurts us.

May God Continue To Bless You!