Wednesday, February 16, 2011

When You're Smiling

I really find that I desire to write a blog entry much more often than I actually publish one! Today I just found myself in a situation where I had to write about once I got home.

As life does to us humans, God really has given me a place that makes my heart smile every minute I'm there. GrandJoe passed away last summer and I've written about him in a previous entry. I documented his life to a small degree and the impact his Service in the Navy has had on my life. Well, ever since he went to Heaven it was laid on my heart to get involved in some type of volunteer work. I've always desired to do some work like this at some level and I knew at heart that this is as good a time as any. Even with all I have going on, no permanent job after this month and my back issues, God just has spoken so clearly to me that if I can't find time now for spending time with His children then I'll always put it off until sometime later.... and you know how that goes!

OK, so the point is, GrandJoe visited a very nice 'nursing' home pretty much every weekday before he got too sick to go. This really gave Meme and Aunt Gale a break from him being at home full-time and truly was a blessing. The Snook Center is the place I speak off. They have multiple wings to the building but in the core of the building they have a "Promenade" with a Soda Fountain, Barber/Beauty Shop, and Post Office and they regularly play music from the 40's and 50's; everything harkens back to the Good Ole Days! The Snook Center is known as a memory care facility so most of the residents have a form of Dementia or Alzheimer's and they are very well cared for. I say most because I've met a few exceptions. There is a lovely couple, the Shirley's, whom only the husband has slight issues with memory. More on them later!

The past two weeks I have been twice to just sit with some of the residents and give them someone to talk to. Eventually I think I will start playing cards or board games with them. For now I'm just trying to get to know them so they do not cast me as a stranger. The first visit I talked with some of the workers and they just went on and on about how great GrandJoe was and that they sure missed him. One regular volunteer told me that he was her absolute favorite that had ever been there. I'm man enough to admit that she made me cry!

Today's visit really went beyond just them asking me questions and the whole time I really asked them things and got to know them better. To see them light up when they remember things from decades past is such a joy. They are the happiest bunch I've ever been around!

One resident, Mrs. Shirley, remembered me from the previous week. It turns out she has no real health issues but is simply there because her husband has the dementia and she didn't want to live away from him. It's just about the sweetest thing you could imagine. She has to be the kindest and sweetest lady I've ever known, family excluded.
Today we discussed all sorts of things. Her husband played the trumpet. I can't recall what his actual profession was when he was younger, but I know his family was big into music, and that his father played the"bass fiddle." -I'd never heard it called that before! Well, after about 30 minutes of sitting at the table with them during their afternoon coffee, one of the staff members put on some music and it was a Louis Armstrong album. Mr. Shirley remembered every lyric from every song! This really made my heart smile because it was just the same with Grandjoe. He couldn't remember how to use a screwdriver or what day it was, but by gosh, he knew every lyric from songs back in the 40s and 50s!

It just so happened that Mr. Shirley's band would play a lot of Louis' songs back in the day. He then told me how he met Louis one night at a music club down on the Causeway - it's the non-elevated road that crosses Mobile Bay between Spanish Fort/Daphne and Mobile. He went on and on about how accessible and nice Louis was. The fact that a man of his popularity during that time would let a young guy backstage between sets just to talk music and trumpets was a thrill for Mr. Shirley. And you know, to have him tell this story and hear it from him, he made you feel like he had met the President! Mr. Shirley was humbled by Louis' kindness that night. He said that after this meeting he started giving free trumpet lessons to children there in Mobile.

I just can't put into words the joy I get from those of previous generations talking about the past. GrandJoe was a blessing in my life even if he couldn't remember who I was.

So, in honor of him I will continue to go visit the fine folks at the Snook Center at least once a week for an hour or so in the afternoons. It's the least I can do!

Thank you so much for the prayers and thoughts regarding my back and job situations. These prayers have been felt I assure you! God has a plan for me regarding a job. Next week I have an interview with the Chief of our GIS department at the Army Corps of Engineers for a Fed position. 432 applicants and there are four of us within the department that are interviewing. I'm continuing to pray for God's will for this and I will gladly accept either outcome. It's been my dream to work in this department for years and if it's meant to be He will keep me here.
On the other hand, we've tweaked my pain meds and it's working decently this week but I go back to the doctor in a couple weeks to see about further injections/meds changes too. Thank the Lord for health insurance. My bills for the two rounds of injections alone were enough for down payment on a small house! :)

As always, may the peace of the Lord, Jesus Christ, be with you all.